Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

the privileged Asian

Summer is here. For the first time I step out to the backyard and enjoy the sun. My sister stays in a fully furnished rented house. The house owners are here to trim the lawn and change the not so cool fridge. Cooler is not working. They are 60 yrs old Irish couple. Amazingly energetic husband n wife. They come in a mini van with lawn mower n tool boxes. Just like that they detach the fridge from the in built cupboard, loads it onto the van and brings back a brand new fridge and fixes it to the shelf! Oh my ! They take lunch break and come back. The husband tightens the screws and the wife trims the lawn. Afterwards, they move on to their other house. Oh yes, this is normal here.

Hmmm...

People like me lead such a pampered, protected n privileged life that........... to open a tool box itself is a himalayan task.

super couple @ work

Sunny day calls for shopping. We are @ Dunnes, me n my sister. Today is to be added to my wall of shame. God ! Look at us ! We, the two Asiatic women are the only people wearing sleeved blouses n jeans. All the other shoppers cover themselves with huge sunglasses, big bags, pretty sandals and are least bothered about clothes. We shop fast n furious and escape to Costa Coffee to drown our shame.  





Cafe Latte does its magic and we go home planning our summer outfit which calls for more shopping. I'm yet to recover from europhobia. No, no , not the fear of Europeans, the fear of parting with euro notes.

No comments: