Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Magic Seeds - Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul





Long time ago, I tried Naipaul's The enigma Of Arrival  but did not reach anywhere. I was hoping better luck with this book - currently the last of his looong literary career. Magic Seeds is a sequel to Half A Life. I was not aware of that. That's fine. You won't miss anything. The novel is not an easy or pleasant read. Of course I can relate to Willie Chandran the drifter, who floats through many a countries, his acute passivity towards life n people and the way he lets events unfold around him perfunctorily. I liked Willie's guerrilla life in India and his monologues but the conclusion of the novel dodged my thick skull.

Naipaul writes 2 novels to remind us that there are no magic seeds to wipe out our troubles ! That's so uncool !! The brute.

No comments: