Pages

Sunday, July 07, 2013

Another country - Anjali Joseph


 Anjali Joseph:''Stop trying to label me.''   

Hii Anjali, are you a  Malayali ? Half-Malayali ? Google says you are a Bombayite. Not that it matters. Anjali - a commoner in South India. The lack of a surname - so typical of Keralites and so I bought the book because of your name.


Another Country details the dull n dusty daily dramas of Leela Gosh - born in India, brought up in London, works in Paris, London and Bombay. The supposedly modern chick suffers from commitment phobia and dutifully goes through a string of 'boring' affairs. She seems to celebrate the staleness of modern life.




The novel is a freeze-dry read, full of stomach clenching real life situations. I didn't like the former and the latter too bitter to swallow. This surely is not my cappuccino. I'm on holiday.

No comments: